Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Bug or ?

Keary Suska <hierophant@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> FYI, it appears that you cannot start the postmaster when your current
> working directory is not accessible by the postgres user:

Is there a good reason that this case should work?  I don't think it's
very easy to fix given that we have to resolve the actual location
of the postmaster executable before we chdir to the data directory.
In any case, AFAICS this would only be an issue if you do
"su postgres -c postmaster" rather than "su -l postgres -c postmaster"
and the former is to be avoided for many reasons besides this one.

			regards, tom lane

       match