Search Postgresql Archives

Re: SLOOOOOOOW

On Sep 5, 2005, at 4:39 PM, Rose, Juergen wrote:

I working now for a wile with postgres (7.4), and I have the impression that is one of the slowest dbms with which I've aver worked. Can please
somebody explain to me, why this is the case?

You've given very few details as to your database schema, size, use- case (e.g, heavy updates, mostly reads), load, hardware, etc. Are you vacuuming regularly? Have you tuned your database? Have you set your stats appropriately? With more detail, such as queries (with EXPLAIN ANALYZE output), you may be able to get some help on the pgsql- performance list. Without any real information, people aren't going to be able to help you.

Here are some references that may help. There are more out there as well. I'm nowhere near an expert on tuning and performance, but these can get you started.

http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList/
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html

Good luck!

Michael Glaesemann