Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Query questions

Poul Jensen <flyvholm@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>you want to create 1 million tables, all with one of
>>2 schemas?
>>

> I started out with a schema for each file, thinking I could utilize
> the schema
> structure in queries, but I don't see how. Schemas are useful for grouping
> tables according to users/owners. Other than that, do they add anything
> but a dot in the table name?

The word "schema" is a bit overloaded--here it means "table
specification" rather than "namespace".

A general rule of database design is: if you end up creating multiple
tables with the same schema, you're doing it wrong--they should all be
one table with an additional key (usually indexed) to distinguish the
data.

-Doug

       match