Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Php abstraction layers

Antimon wrote:

Hi,
I'm working on a new web project based on php and i decided to use
PostgreSQL 8.x as
dbms. For triggers, views, stored procedures etc. I was going to write
a simple wrapper class and use pg_* functions. But some friends adviced
me to use an abstraction layer. I checked PEAR:DB and AdoDB. They look
pretty but i don't understand why sould i need one?

Do yourself a favor and write lightweight wrapper functions. This means that if something needs to be changed (say, a PHP API name change happens) you don't have to rewrite a lot of your code. Additionally, if you do have to port someday to Interbase or even (gasp) MySQL, it becomes possible thought not always straightforward. *Simple* and light database abstractions are very nice because they isolate your framework from the API syntax and after a few years, something could change and then you don't have to rewrite a whole lot.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting