Search Postgresql Archives

Re: stack depth limit exceeded

I think that you forgot the table name.

CREATE TRIGGER "updateContact" AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE
ON  contacts FOR EACH ROW
EXECUTE PROCEDURE "contacts"."addContactField"();

Frank

Jamie Deppeler wrote:

What i am trying to do is update the field contact with field values in firstname and lastname

Trigger

CREATE TRIGGER "updateContact" AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE
ON  FOR EACH ROW
EXECUTE PROCEDURE "contacts"."addContactField"();

Procedure

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "contacts"."addContactField" () RETURNS trigger AS
$body$
begin
 update contacts.person
 set "contact" = new.firstname
 where person."primary" = new."primary";
 return null;
end;
$body$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE CALLED ON NULL INPUT SECURITY INVOKER;

Tom Lane wrote:

Jamie Deppeler <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
At the moment i am trying to execute a very simple function but i am getting the following error stack depth limit exceeded

You didn't really show the complete context, but seeing that this is a
trigger and it's trying to do an "UPDATE person" internally, I'll bet
a nickel that the trigger itself is on update events on person, and
therefore that you've written an infinite recursion.

Had you shown more context, I could have given some advice on a better
way to do it.  If you're trying to alter the row that's about to be
stored, you just have to assign to field(s) of the NEW row within the
trigger.  If you want to do something else, you need to explain what.

            regards, tom lane

              http://archives.postgresql.org

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster