Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgresql replication

Chris Browne wrote:
I'm pretty sure that they _don't_ track balance updates for each
transaction that applies to a customer's account.  You could, via one
form of trickery or another, "overdraw" your account by a fairly hefty
amount, and they probably won't notice for a day or even three.  But
once they notice/estimate that the Gentle Caller has built up some
dangerously high balance, they'll warn of impending discontinuation of
service if some sum isn't paid by some date.

This works for companies that have some degree of power over their customers. E.g. pay up or we disconnect your service. Return your overdrafts/pay your fees or we mess up your credit.

This doesn't work if it's a small company who's account has been emptied. Sure the bank will refuse to honor the check but then that company will be hit with overdraw penalties and possible legal penalties to the payee for the bounced check.

The warning threshold system is easy to implement but there will always be corner cases where the warning is not soon enough or a single payment wipes out ~ 100% of the account. Warn too often and it'll be ignored by people as a "boy crying wolf" alarm.

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster