Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgresql replication

William Yu schrieb:
Tino Wildenhain wrote:

Which is the problem we face. Great, you've got multiple servers for failover. Too bad it doesn't do much good if your building gets hit by fire/earthquake/hurricane/etc.

This would remove the application using that data too, or not? ;)

Yes and no. If your DB is an internal app for a company where the users are in the same building as the servers, doesn't matter really I guess. Meteor hitting the building would kill the users in addition to the server so nobody will be calling you to complain about system downtime.

If your app is used by external customers who are all across the country, they want to continue to still use your software even though you and data center #1 are 6 feet under due to an 8.0 earthquake. They want auto-failover to data center #2 which is in close proximity to CIA headquarters and other juicy terrorist targets.

Sure, but in this case a "simple" async master-slave (slony-1)
and the usual failover (also DNS-failover) should be sufficient.

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq