Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgresql replication

[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Michael Meskes

>Am Mittwoch, 24. August 2005 14:21 schrieb Carlos Henrique Reimer:
>> One possible solution is replicate the headquarter DB into the two
>> branches.

>> I read about slony-i, but then the replicated DBs will be read-only.

>That's because it's a master-slave replication. If you could sync the slave
>back to the master it would be a master itself.

>> I think I´m looking for a master-slave assynchronous solution. I know
>> pgReplicator can do it, but I think the project is not active any more.

>But Slony does master/slave replication.

i think carlos is confused about master-slave vs multi-master.

carlos,
master-slave async is much easier than multi-master async. yes, pgreplicator
can in theory do multi-master async in a restricted sort of way (the
generalized multi-master async problem is fairly intractable), but you're
right in that pgreplicator is not maintained anymore (and moreover it depends
on a no-longer-maintained dialect of tcl.) if i had infinite time and energy,
i'd be working on a reimplementation of pgreplicator in C, but i don't have
either and i don't see anyone offering to pay me to do it, so it'll stay on
the list of wanna-do projects for the time being.

richard