Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Same database, different query plans

On Thursday 18 August 2005 10:16 am, eugene1@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> BTW, the default postgresql settings are WAY too conservative.

The archives are full of discussion on this issue. PG runs on several
operating systems and is installed on machines ranging from slow
single-cpu multi-service machines with well under 100MB RAM to fast
multi-cpu machines chock-full of memory and fast drive arrays
dedicated to PG only.

The default configuration allows you to get PG running out-of-the box
on almost any machine. The end-user is responsible for adjusting the
settings to match the particulars the system on which it is
installed.

> I am now looking into tuning and there are a lot of things that need
> to be turned up.

Google on "postgresql performance tuning" and you will find lots of
useful articles on the first page of returns. Chapter 16 of the
manual describes the various settings (but is not terribly helpful in
recommending the appropriate setting). The stats collector can
provide you with useful input for determining settings.

When you run out of ideas from those sources, subscribe to the
"Performance" mailing list.

Cheers,
Steve

               http://archives.postgresql.org