Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Waiting on a transaction

On Aug 16, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Bill Moseley wrote:

So then I wondered if my application should set an alarm and timeout
with an error if, by odd chance, an update hangs.  Trying to be a bit
more robust -- not that the application could recover, but at least it
could spit out an error other than hang.

Robustness in the face of breakage is always good. Since you're programming in transactions already, you have planned for failed commits anyhow, so adding timeouts will probably not cause any significant harm to your program.

The trick is dealing with statement timeouts on shared pool connections over mod_perl and Apache::DBI. I haven't satisfied myself yet that the timeout will be unset when the next connection uses the DB...

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq