Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Change to PostgreSQL

Félix Beltrán wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new to PostgreSQL. I've been working for about two years with mySQL but i'm evaluating other options (like PostgreSQL) because of lack of features and a more restrictive licensing model. Right now what i am looking in PostgreSQL is:

1) Free distribution even for non free applications (including .Net driver).

http://www.postgresql.org/about/
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ.html
http://www.postgresql.org/download/
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/npgsql/projdisplay.php

2) Is there a good graphical database designer for PostgreSQL wich also suppors online database synchronization?

Not sure what you mean here. There are a number of graphical clients. Were you looking for a schema-designer?

3) Easy of management and robust so it needs almost zero administration (applications suited for non technical users)

Depends how you set it up. End-users shouldn't need to do anything.

4) Light enough so it can be used on applications installed in a single PC.

Depends on the database and the PC. I regularly demonstrate/train on systems built using PG/PHP using an old iBook laptop. Handles about a dozen users OK, not tried more.

Be aware that most PC disk systems lie about flushing data to disk, so PG can't offer the same guarantee on data integrity that it can with SCSI disk systems.
--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend