Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Going beyond sql

Jon wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to run some scripts against a postgres database but has more than just standard SQL commands. I'd like to be able to use conditional statements (i.e. if .. .then ... ) and such. I had a look and can see that I could use pgplsql for this. However it seems that it must be part of a function. Is there any way of doing this without the function coating as these commands would be a once off?

Jon.

Have you considered writing them in a programming language that connects to the database? I have to write one-time database code at times, and writing it in Perl is the most efficient way to do it for me. But then I also wrote an extremely simple wrapper to the DBI / DBD::Pg module so that I don't have to muck with the extra house keeping steps in my programs.

--
Thanks,
Laura Vance

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster