Search Postgresql Archives

wanting to use postgres with python - WHAT am I doing wrong?????? AGGGHHHH

I want to use postgres with python but I can't seem to get it working. If I read things correctly I need python installed then I need postgres installed. I did both on my Sun Solaris Opteron AMD 64 (Mandrake 10.1 os) using the --enable-shared and --with-python options. Both came back with ready statements. I can do stuff with python and I can do stuff with postgres - but I can't seem to do stuff with both! I installed Python-2.4.1 and PostGreSQL-8.0.3.

I read up and decided that I needed PyGreSQL so downloaded PyGreSQL-3.6.2 and had to work extensively (before asking for help there again) to get just the compile to work. It seems to add the shared library but the "python setup.py install" doesn't work AT ALL.

My question is - is there a more simple way? I must surely be doing something wrong. Maybe I don't even need PyGreSQL.

Please - all advice welcome! My brain is so tired and ready for something fresh! Thank you in advance for any help given. I can promise you that it is greatly appreciated!
Ronni

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster