Search Postgresql Archives

Re: untrusted languages and non-global superusers?

CSN wrote:
Why cant your application handle this?
Otoh, why dont you provide a function to send mail,
which takes some parameters and just let your users
use them? No need for everybody to write her own
mail function.

Convenience! I want the email sent whether the member
is added via the web interface, directly in the
database, from the command line, etc. I don't see any
downside. It's only one user that'll be using this
function.

But it does mean that user is running code as the database user, so if you don't trust them with that, don't do it.

What I use with this is a "message_queue" table and a cron-job that runs once a minute (or every 5). It keeps the two processes separate (decide to send a message and assemble the message and send it) and also lets you get more complicated (in one example I need to build a report, produce a PDF and then attach it to the email I generate).

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd