Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Tool for database design documentation?

Jon Christian Ottersen wrote:
We are trying to find a good way to document our database design – what is the rationale behind each table/field, what kind of information is each field supposed to contain, perhaps also something about the linking between the tables etc. Is there anybody who has some experience on this? Is the built in ‘comments’ fields in pgsql the best tool or are there any special tools that would be recommendable?

I prefer to use a third-party tool like Case Studio 2 (http://www.casestudio.com) for this. Import your schema into CS, document your various entities in the table/element/key/etc popups, then Export everything to HTML. CS generates pretty complete documentation.

      match