Search Postgresql Archives

Re: GUID for postgreSQL

Magnus Hagander wrote:

At least on Windows, the GUID is derived in part from the computers
primary MAC address. No, it's not a guarantee, but it's pretty unlikely
:-)
The danger is not that the MAC address will be duplicated, but that other factors will lead to an MD5 collision.

Unless you can show me that there is a 1:1 correspondence of all possible unique factors going into the GUID generation and the output, then I will say it is still no guarantee.

Just because two documents or files have the same MD5 doesn't mean that they are the same files either. I.e. you can't go searching all files by MD5 checksums and expecting to find the right one. OTOH, MD5 provides reasonable assurance that any given file (once you know its intended MD5) has not been tampered with. I.e. MD5 is not meant to preclude collisions, but rather it is meant to preclude *intentional* collisions. Similarly, if we want a guaranteed uniqueness to a GUID we have to have some sort of unique string to the GUID prepended to it (not merely used in a hash).

So you could use the Mac address of the machine, I guess, if you wanted to....

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting