Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgresql with max_connections=4096

On Jul 27, 2005, at 4:22 AM, denis@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Already checked.
We set a machine with only pg_pool installed as a fronted to the real db. If I disable persistent connections and I use pg_pool with 4096 preforked clients,

no no no.
you don't want 4096 preforked clients.

What you want to do is leave it at the default 32 preforks and run a copy of pgpool on each frontend. Then point your app to connect ot localhost (or the unix socket). Be sure you change things to use a "normal" connect not a persistant connect. This should be fine for you. I used to run a site doing hundreds of connects & queries / second across 4 frontends each of which ran a pg_pool connected to a db box.

If you fine 32 clients isn't enough, then bump it up. The idea is to keep as few connections as possible.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.jefftrout.com/

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend