Search Postgresql Archives

Rules vs Triggers

Read the Rules section of the manual and the section on Rules vs Triggers.

>From what I get triggers are necessary for column constraints. As far as
speed, it seems there are some differences between how fast rules/triggers
would do the same action, but that some complex analysis is involved to
determine this. And I gathered rules are necessary to allow
update/insert/delete actions on views.

Can anyone give me some simple reasons why they choose rules over triggers
in their real-world dbs?

--
Randall Perry
sysTame