Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Wishlist?

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 07:10:03PM +1000, Ezequiel Tolnay wrote:
* Make temporary schemes visible (and accessible) only to its current owner/user, and create a tool to clear currently unused temporary schemes (for instance during backups, or when duplicating a database)

Temporary schemas? Temporary tables go into a tempoary schema that is
automatically removed when you disconnect. What would more temporary
schemas acheive?

Temporary schemas are never removed (that I know of). They are reused, and they trash the list of schemas in the middle with as many as they were concurrently ever created. It seems there is a good reason for it, according to the documentation, since it removes the overhead of having to drop and then recreate it when needed on a new connection. The problem is that they're all visible to everyone (although apparently accessible only to admins and the schema's current user).

It is certainly not critical, and could be solved by the GUI admins by simply avoiding showing the temp schemas, or provide an option to hide them. But I wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to do it in the database itself instead of each and every GUI admin. After all, who is interested in which temp schemas have been created for internal use? They're supposed to be of use exclusively to its owner and only during the duration of the session. It would be much more sense that the temp schema would be always called "pg_temp", and map it internally to the real current temp schema, making all others hidden and inaccessible.

Cheers,

Ezequiel Tolnay

              http://archives.postgresql.org