Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Can't connect after restart

Audrey Bergeron-Morin wrote:

We've been having trouble with a pgSQL 8.0.3 install
on a WXP machine. Install goes fine, DB works until we
restart the machine, then we can't connect. First time
we thought something was corrupted because we had a
power outage, we uninstalled/reinstalled and it was
fine until, again, we decided to reboot. We were
thinking it was a problem with permissions, but it
doesn't make much sense to me that it's working fine
before we restart.

So, what can I send you to better describe my problem?
Do you think it could be a problem with permissions?
How can I test to find out what the problem might be?

Have you looked at the postgersql log files to see if there are any errors? Sounds like one possibility is that the PID file is not getting deleted on reboot and needs to be manually removed so that the postmaster restarts. We need more information to diagnose the problem, and the log files are a good place to start.