Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Slow first query

Rob Brenart wrote:
I'm running postgresql 8.0 under WindowsXP for a development box (the production server isn't up yet, and will be linux, so I don't know that the problem will travel)...

Using a PHP connection to it for a simple web app, if I leave the app alone for a bit (about 20 seconds I'd say) and do something that requires a query the next page load is slow, not 20 seconds slow, but 3-5 seconds.... but as long as I stay active the page reloads are instantaneous.

Is there anything I can do about this, or should I just wait to see how it performs on my production server before I worry too much?

Since you don't say what's causing it, difficult to say what the problem is. Might it just be caching, does your development box have a lot of memory free to cache disk blocks?

Otherwise, it could be almost anything. You'll have to run some timing/traces on the various elements of your setup (php/webserver/pg).

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend