Search Postgresql Archives

Re: foreign key constraints and inheritence

On Jul 17, 2005, at 5:35 AM, Michael Fuhr wrote:

See the inheritance documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/ddl-inherit.html

"A serious limitation of the inheritance feature is that indexes
(including unique constraints) and foreign key constraints only
apply to single tables, not to their inheritance children.  This
is true on both the referencing and referenced sides of a foreign
key constraint."

I think I was just in denial. I'd read it some time ago, but yesterday I just didn't want to believe it.

What I'd like to believe: that all behaviors (i.e. constraints) are inherited down the table hierarchy and may be overridden by identically named behaviors lower in the hierarchy.

Garrett

              http://archives.postgresql.org