Search Postgresql Archives

Re: chosing a database name

we are developing GNUmed, a medical practice management
application running on PostgreSQL (you want your medical
data to be hosted by something reliable, don't you ;-)  We
are putting out our first release sometime in the next two
weeks.

The idea is to name the production database "gnumed0.1" for
version 0.1 (gnumed0.2 etc for upcoming releases). I do
realize the "." may force me to quote the database name in,
say, a CREATE DATABASE call.

I doubt you'll have any problems with the tools, but the quoting may
prove painful.  Why not replace the dot with an underscore? gnumed0_1
Good suggestion. I will try to find a name that a) makes the
version tag unambigous and b) does not require quoting.

My main concern, however, was whether the *approach* is
sound, eg using a separate database name per release or IOW
version. One way would be to use the database name "gnumed"
regardless of release, another way would be to use
"gnumedX_Y" for release X.Y. I wonder whether the latter
approach has any drawbacks people might think of regarding
release management etc.

The only thing I can think is that if the changes from v1 to v2 don't touch the schema, then you've got a lot of extra update-work to do that really isn't necessary. Doesn't hurt anything though and it gives you a nice clean way of reverting back a version if necessary.

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq