Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Japanese words not distinguished

>> Meanwhile, am I correct in assuming that re-initialising my database cluster
>> with "--locale=C" will solve the problem?
>
> AFAIK it should --- of course you won't get any very intelligent sorting
> or case folding, but at least it can tell the difference between
> different characters ;-).  Be sure to still use encoding = unicode.

Okay, thanks for confirming that (!)

But... will setting the C locale affect how PostgreSQL sorts Latin-1 words?

If it does, I'm in trouble! I need to be able to sort (using ORDER BY
queries) English and other European names/words. (I've tried searching for
this topic, but failed to find an answer.)

Would specifying a locale for LC_COLLATE take care of this? Perhaps
something like this:

initdb --locale=C --lc-collate=en_GB.UTF-8 --encoding UNICODE

I'm sorry to drag this out. Perhaps I cannot have it both ways.

Kind regards

Harry Mantheakis
London, UK