Search Postgresql Archives

Re: utf-8 and cultural sensitive sorting

It depends what language you want to sort. Lots of languages do not have a sort alphabet. For example, Japanese. It can be quite difficult to sort unusual languages like this. I am not aware of any standard technique for sorting Japanese text other than keeping an arbitrarily sorted dictionary (courtesy of whatever the most popular Japanese dictionary at the time happens to be perhaps) and then doing hash lookups in the for indexing values. As you can imagine, this is not particularly fast. I have not actually tried this, but I expect PosgreSQL will simply sort in a fairly binary fashion. As in, it gets sorted in according to the binary value of the characters, or the UTF-8 offsets, or something like that.