Search Postgresql Archives

Re: double entries into database when using IE

SCassidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

If a web page has  _javascript_ called on a submit button, like
', and the function does some stuff, then does a
form.submit(), and DOES NOT REMEMBER TO RETURN FALSE, then the browser is
supposed to go ahead and submit the form.  So, something like that could
possibly happen, but only if the _javascript_ is incorrectly written, as far
as I know.   Although, once a submit is done, it would be a gray area as to
whether the form data would still be available for the second submit.

I think this thread discuss the problem .. like they say I started having the problem with some version of IE6 but not IE5.
http://forums.devshed.com/showthread.php?t=50160&page=1&pp=15
http://www.tfug.org/pipermail/tfug/2004-October/007785.html

They don't give the answer but when they talk

here is what it might be:

<input class="input" type="submit " name="Submit" value="Submit" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="">"_javascript_:submitit();">

if you use _javascript_ to submit the form

do not use a button type of submit.........it will submit twice

correct code

<input class="input" type="button " name="Submit" value="Submit" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="">"_javascript_:submitit();">

Like SCassidy said .. maybe returing FALSE will solve the problem .. but I remember having tried this without success...

It's all what I know :-)

I use _javascript_ in forms all the time to interact with a PostgreSQL
database, and don't have any issues like this with debugged code, using
IE6.

Susan

                           David Gagnon
                      <dgagnon@xxxxxxxxxx>           To:       D A GERM <dgerm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                           Sent by:                  cc:       Postgresql-General <pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                     Subject:  Re:  double entries into database when using IE

                      pgsql-general-owner@pos         |-------------------|
                      tgresql.org                     | [ ] Expand Groups |
                                                      |-------------------|

                           07/05/2005 02:24
                      PM

Hi,

I have seen IE posting request twice to the server when you post using a
button that use _javascript_.  Per example, if you have a submit button
and call a _javascript_ that actually post the form... IE will still do
the post attached to the submit button.  So you will have 2 submits....
It's stupid but it's true.

It's happen on some version of IE6 I think .. not all for what I remember.

You can search the web for the solution ... I don't remember what I did
or if I actually did something to solve the problem.

/David

P.S.: This is quite OT for the postgresql mailing list .. you don't think ?

  D A GERM wrote:

I am having a problem when a browser dumps data into a table.
When the browser is Firefox , it works perfect; when the browser is
IE, it dumps 2 entries into the table just thousandths of a second apart.

What could be causing this? Is this an issue with IE, Apache or Postgres.

Thanks in advance for any help.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster