Search Postgresql Archives

rules and table renaming

I'm renaming a table to a live database.... before it goes REALLY live and ends up on lots of servers. For various reasons I've got various different clients floating around and can't get them all updated synchronously.

anyways.

How do I make a set of rules to pass insert/update/delete/... on to the new table? aside: insert - should be straightforeward. Delete - IS straightforeward. However one of the client programs update each table item (UPDATE table SET item=value WHERE key=value) where item could be a number of different table items... THIS rule I'm having a problem with - any suggestions?

It could be something I'm missing blindly. I haven't worked with triggers/rules/plsql/... before umm yesterday. Haven't needed them and I've been using postgresql since umm lots of years now *grin*

              http://archives.postgresql.org