Search Postgresql Archives

Performance Tuning Best Practices for 8

I've been using postgres off and on since about 1997/98. While I have my personal theories about tuning, I like to make sure I stay current. I am about to start a rather thorough, application specific evaluation of postgresql 8, running on a Linux server (most likely the newly release Debian Stable).

While I have been running 7.4.x for a while, I have not had much of an opportunity to really look at 8. Are there any significant differences or gotchas tuning 8 as compared to 7.4 or older versions?

I was hoping those that have 8 in production environments might share some of their tuning experiences with me, or point me to useful web sites or books. Most of the websites and books I've seen on this topic are from 2003 and 2004, so I was hoping to find something a little more current.

Thanks,
Greg

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend