Search Postgresql Archives

Re: problems with types after update to 8.0

Jason Tesser wrote:
Hi Richard and thank you for your help.  Here is the actual message from
the pg log
ERROR:  42804: column "datetimein" is of type timestamp without time
zone but expression is of type character varying
HINT:  You will need to rewrite or cast the expression.

I can aviod this by rewritting my queries and casting all the stuff
though I don't want to have to do this.  I am trying to figure out what
is happening so I can find a proper solution, like I said this all
worked with pg 7.4

Are you sure the issue is the change from PG7.4=>PG8.0, or have you upgraded your jdbc package at the same time?

Here is my prepared statment in my java class
  private static final String MANUALINSERT =
      "insert into pactime (datetimein, pacpayperiodlink, wslink,
deptlink, commment, type) " +
      "values ?,?,?,?,?,'man') ";

and here si the way to fix but there are too many queires to have to
change them all.
  private static final String MANUALINSERT =
      "insert into pactime (datetimein, pacpayperiodlink, wslink,
deptlink, commment, type) " +
      "values (cast(? as timestamp),?,?,?,?,'man') ";

here is where I am executing the statement in java
        stmt = con.prepareStatement(DATEOUTUPDATE);
        stmt.setString(1, dateout);
        stmt.setString(2, comment);
        stmt.setString(3, pactimeid);

Hmm - should this not be something like:
  stmt.setTimestamp(1,dateout) / stmt.setDateTime(1,dateout)

You'll have to consider the fact that I don't really do Java, but I'm guessing the "setString" has been tightened up in recent JDBC releases to mean "varchar" rather than just "quoted-undefined". There must be an equivalent method for timestamps.

As a workaround, consider downgrading your jdbc (if you've upgraded it), or using an older protocol version (sorry, don't know how to specify this with jdbc).

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend