Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL Client Aplications ?

Richard Huxton wrote:
Zlatko Matić wrote:

Hello.

Till now I've been working with Postgres only through pgAdminIII.
Postgres is installed on WIndows XP. Now I need to use pg_dumpall. I
have found folder with different Postgres aplications, placed in
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin. When I double-click on any of
them, I am prompted for password, but I can't input anything (!?).
The cursor is blinking but no text apears as I'm typing. What's wrong
? Is there any other way for starting/executing those programs, such
as pg_dumpall ?

They're command-line programs. You should run them from a command-prompt window.

Get a command prompt. If you do not know how go to your start menu and run cmd cd to the directory that has the file. If you do not know how to do that type CD progra<tab>\posge<tab>\8.0\bin
<tab> means hit the tab key and it will complete the name for you.
then pg_dumpall >backup.sql <enter>
and it should create a file called backup.sql but to be honest I do not use postgres under Windows. Windows is okay for clients but I find it messy for servers.