Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Connecting to Postgres from LAN

on 30/05/05 20:47, Andrus <noeetasoftspam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I installed Postgres 8 to Windows XP and added a line
>
> host    all         all         168.179.0.1/32          trust
>
> to pg_hba.conf file
>

> When connection from LAN to the Postgres with user name postgres I got error
>
> no pg_hba.conf entry for host "168.179.0.10", user "postgres", database
> "mydb", SSL off
>

> How  to enable connection from LAN ?
>
> Andrus

The solution is to edit the postgresql.conf file
And then enable LAN connections.

But before doing so, I urge you :

Your line in pg_hba.conf as is is EXTREMELY INSECURE
I suggest to be more tight than "all" and "trust"

Use a comma separated list of users (exclude postgres)
Use a comma separated list of databases (excluding templates and pg_)

Use "password" instead of "trust", at least.

So create some users with limited grants, with a password, even if these are
script users.

No network can be trusted.

User postgres is (and should stay) the only one user capable of DROP
DATABASE x

I strongly recomment not to use user postgres for runtime remote
connections.