Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Question: migrate

On Friday 27 May 2005 12:52, Jeff Trout wrote:
> On May 27, 2005, at 12:10 PM, Hrishikesh Deshmukh wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have a huge database working on a debian linux machine, this machine
> > is going to get a hard drive wipe and new OS. I have another debian
> > linux machine (exact hardware + software). Is there a way to get
> > database "migrated" from machine 1 to machine 2 without much work?
>
> 2 methods
>
> 1. since it is the same kind of hardware you can shut down PG on
> machine1 and tar up $PGDATA move to machine2, untar and fire up PG.

Depending on your systems, it might be quicker to just mount one of the drives
on the other machine and copy it directly over, bypassing the tar step.

> 2. pg_dump on machine 1, copy the dump, load up on machine2. (this
> will take longer)

Option 3 would be to use slony, which would minimise the down time, but might
not fall into the "without much work" constraint.

--
Robert Treat

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend