Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Image storage questions

Guy Rouillier wrote:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

External storing is useful but I prefer LO because all my data (binary
and meta) is all in the same place for management.

But if that's a big L in LO, performance and maintenance will be
negatively affected, perhaps significantly.

How?

The DBMS will have to scan
over all that large binary data to extract text or numeric data.

Ahhh now I see, are you expecting to be able to query your LOs? We only use Large Objects as a storage mechanism.

And
backups will copy that static binary data repeatedly.

Not unless you tell it to. If you don't pass the -b option you are not going to end up backing up your large objects anyway.

For those
reasons, if I'm storing very large objects, like images, that I know
I'll never search or update, I prefer to manage them externally.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend