Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How many rows if limit wasn't present?

Victor Spång Arthursson wrote:
Ciao!

Is it possible to get the number of rows that would have been returned if the LIMIT-clause weren't present in some way after the query was run?

Reason for asking is that I have a really big chunk of SQL, which takes time to execute, and whoose result is paginated using a LIMIT- clause, and to get the actual result (before pagination) I have to run the query one more time… Big slow down…

No. Standard procedure here is to select the results to a temporary table, or application-level cache etc.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster