To: <pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 6:15 PM
Subject: Re: MS-Access and Stored procedures

How can I use stored procedures (functions) with MS-Access
2002 connected to PostgreSQL 8.0 ?

An alternative to Philippe's solution is to use ADO. Here is an sample function : (assuming ActiveX Data Object lib is checked in the Tools/References menu)

Function ADO_PG()
Dim cnn As ADODB.Connection
Dim rst As ADODB.Recordset
Dim cmd As ADODB.Command
Dim strSQL As String

' Open connection
Set cnn = New ADODB.Connection
cnn.CursorLocation = adUseClient
cnn.ConnectionString = "DSN=<your ODBC DSN here>"
cnn.Open

' Display resultset (SELECT...)
Set rst = New ADODB.Recordset
strSQL = "SELECT * FROM a_function_returning_rows()"
rst.Open strSQL, cnn, adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic
While Not rst.EOF
   Debug.Print rst("one column name here")

   ' Next record
   rst.MoveNext
Wend
rst.Close
Set rst = Nothing

' Execute function (e.g.: INSERT, UPDATE...)
Set cmd = New ADODB.Command
cmd.ActiveConnection = cnn
cmd.CommandText = "another_pg_function()"
cmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
cmd.Execute
Set cmd = Nothing

' Close resources
cnn.Close
Set cnn = Nothing
End Function

Of course, parameters can be sent to stored procedures.

HTH,
-- Hervé Inisan, www.self-access.com