Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Array manipulation/syntax question

Bart Grantham wrote:
Hello again. I had a problem a few weeks ago with using IN ( some_array ) having really rough performance. Special thanks to Ron Mayer for the suggestion of using int_array_enum(some_array) to join against. I had to upgrade to PG8 but that technique works really well. Now I have a question about array manipulation. Specifically, how can I build an array from the result of a query without resorting to array_append()?

Well, the same contrib module with int_array_enum() also has aggregate called int_array_aggregate that turns a column into an array.

-- my_array is an INT[]

_my_array := select some_column from some_table;

so this: SELECT int_array_aggregate(some_column) from some_table; might be what you want.

... in plpgsql?

Well... the function from the contrib module was in C, so I guess it doesn't strictly meet what you asked, but it works very well for me. ;-)

   Ron Mayer

PS: the stuff in /contrib/intarray may be useful too, for
    indexing, merging, and many other tricks on the integer arrays.

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend