Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Trigger that spawns forked process

> Christopher Murtagh <christopher.murtagh@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >  I would like to write a trigger or function that spawns a forked
> > process so that the transaction is considered 'complete' to the client,
> > but continues to perform more work.
>
> It's not very clear what you are hoping to have the forked process do,
> but if it's supposed to be another backend, forget it --- won't work.

 No, I don't want the trigger to do any db stuff at all. Basically, I've
got a content management system that is going to be split across a
cluster. Upon an update submission from one of them, I want to replicate
across the others (which can happen in pseudo real time). So, basically
the DB is the master, once it makes an update, it will spawn a process
to the syncronization (all of this code is written). I just don't want
the initial update process to wait for replication to finish (which is
only a second or two under normal load). I could write a daemon that
would sit an listen to these replication requests, but that just seems
to be more complex than I need.

Cheers,

Chris

--