Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Adventures in Quest for GUI RAD

They are if you are doing any of your research at work :-)
I started using Delphi for shareware/hobby products and while the initial investment was higher, I reap the benefits of a huge third party and open source component environment.
Lets see, say you need a syntax highlighting editor component for free, delphi has you covered with Synedit http://synedit.sourceforge.net/, say you want a very nice bocking TCP/IP client/server framework, again your covered (Synapse http://www.ararat.cz/synapse/), say you want a nice XP like tool bar component, Toolbar 2000 is there (www.jrsoftware.org)
along with Inno Setup (created with Delphi) and of course we can't forget about Zeos http://www.zeoslib.net

I could go on and on....

You certainly don't need any staff behind you to use Delphi. I don't have a staff....or a ton of spare cash....
I bought Delphi 2005 back in December and I just finished paying it off a little each month, was it worth it? You better believe it...

Sounds like you invested in a Dell laptop or PC from prior posts, the same can be said for a nice profesional RAD IDE.
You need to make an investment, you get what you pay for.

Find a copy of Delphi 5 pro on ebay or whatever for cheap, then use it to get the upgrade.

We could go on and on about this, so this will be my last post on this subject. If you do decide to go with Delphi let me know and I could provide some examples.

I should have made it clear that I am just a hobbyist teaching myself in my spare time, for fun. Tony Caduto is worried that some employer is losing money because I wont purchase Delphi. But thanks Tony, for your good advice. And it IS good advice for someone with money and staff behind them to take that advice and make something productive happen.