Search Postgresql Archives

subqueries and qualification of table names

I have a query which didn't work properly until I fully qualified columns used in a a subquery with the appropriate table names. The reason is that both tables have a column named 'chromosome' used in the subquery. In the following query, PG treats the phrase "and chromosome = chromosome" as "and genetic.chromosome = genetic.chromosome". I.e. it treats:

---
# select chromosome, layer, rank,
        (select refsnp_id
                from genetic
                where extended_frame = True
                        and chromosome = chromosome
                        and gl_left = rank)
from framework
where name = 'D3S3610'
        and layer = 'GL';
---

as:
---
select chromosome, layer, rank,
        (select refsnp_id
                from genetic
                where genetic.extended_frame = True
                        and genetic.chromosome = genetic.chromosome
                        and genetic.gl_left = framework.rank)
from framework
where name = 'D3S3610'
        and layer = 'GL';
---

Is that the appropriate SQL behavior? Personally I don't care; I'm just curious.

Thanks,
Kevin Murphy

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq