Search Postgresql Archives

Re: oid wraparound

Hubert Fröhlich wrote:
Those days, we had PostgreSQL 7.1 and 7.2, and we had to be careful oids approaching 2^32 (2.14 billion)

Now, we have 8.0. What does the situation look like?

With the default settings, there is exactly the same risk of OID wraparound as in earlier releases. However, you can set the "default_with_oids" configuration parameter to false to significantly reduce OID consumption, to the point that you probably won't need to worry about it. It will mean that tables will not have OIDs by default, so you should specify WITH OIDS when creating tables that need OIDs if necessary (although think twice before doing this, as there are only a few good reasons to use OIDs in user tables).

(This setting will default to false in 8.1)

-Neil

     joining column's datatypes do not match