Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Encoding problem

seltenreich@xxxxxx (Andreas Seltenreich) wrote in message news:<877jixorpl.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>...
> Fritz Bayer schrob:
>
> > The problem is that alls the "ü" characters get displayed as "<FC>".
> >
> > Why is that so?
>
> This could happen when your locale isn't properly set up. If, for
> example, LC_CTYPE is set to C, your pager thinks this character isn't
> printable and tries to do something smart with it. You can display the
> current setup by running "locale".
>
> Does it work when you export LC_CTYPE=de_DE before running psql?

I noticed that no locales have been generated and that the variable
was set to C. I created the locales for LATIN1 and ISO8859-15 and set
the variable to the value you suggested.

I tried it and now I get ü instead.

To give you more clues I checked the encoding which seems to be
UNICODE.

 show client_encoding;
NOTICE:  Current client encoding is 'UNICODE'
SHOW VARIABLE

So I tried to set it to LATIN1 using

\encoding latin1

But now I get

select * from user_requests;
ERROR:  Could not convert UTF-8 to ISO8859-1

> regards,
> Andreas

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend