Search Postgresql Archives

Re: listing all tables

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 11:33:07PM -0400, Typing80wpm@xxxxxxx wrote:

> My question is, what command can I issue to list all the tables in a
> database?

If you're using psql then you can use the \dt command, although that
will show only the tables in your search path (which is probably what
you're interested in).  See "Meta-Commands" in the psql documentation
for more info; see also the "System Catalogs" and "The Information
Schema" chapters.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/app-psql.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/catalogs.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/information-schema.html

One way to learn more about the system catalogs is to run "psql -E"
or execute "\set ECHO_HIDDEN" from within psql so you can see the
queries psql sends for commands like \dt, \d tablename, etc.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/