Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Suggestions

syed magthum wrote:
Hi
  We are likely to build a desktop application in
VB.Net and we are in a hunt to go for a database.We
need a free version basically if it dosnt meets our
demand then we can go for the developer versions.

For our application it may run as client server application may be of 10 concurrent users,with 40 tables of 10000 rows for 2 r 3 tables and others mostly of 1000 rows.

That's easily do-able with PostgreSQL. Or tables ten or a hundred times larger.

There are ODBC and .Net client libraries - details and download at
  http://www.postgresql.org/download/

PostgreSQL is licenced under the BSD licence which lets you use, modify and distribute the system pretty much without restriction.
http://www.postgresql.org/about/licence

It is of course free, runs on most Unix variants (including MacOS-X) and with version 8, Windows 2000/XP.

The only thing is, it isn't suitable as an embedded database - it needs to be its own server process. If that's acceptable to you, then I think you'll like PostgreSQL.
--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster