Search Postgresql Archives

Note: Compiling on Windows with free Microsoft compilers

All

Though I understand the MinGW environment is recommended for compiling all of PostGreSQL on Windows, one can (as stated in the documentation) use MSVC to compile just the essential client stuff (psql, libpq.dll, libpq.lib).

This is just a note to observe that the same is possible without shelling out for MSVC. Microsoft makes the identical optimizing compiler available in a command-line version at

	http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

It does not have all the libraries you need (in particular MSVCRT.lib)....so it is also necessary to get the Platform SDK at

	http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/

I also grabbed the .NET framework development kit from

	http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/updates/default.aspx

Once you have installed all that stuff, you need to make sure that nmake.exe, cl.exe and link.exe are in your $PATH (mostly taken care of by the batch-file-command-shell included with the compiler). Then, I found it necessary to modify win32.mak in the interfaces/ subdirectory of the postgresql source distribution with a linker directive telling it where to find MSVCRT.lib. I did this by putting setting LOPT=/LIB:<dirpath> win win32.mak.

Hope that helps somebody.

- Brian

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq