Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Big trouble with memory !!

Hervé Piedvache wrote:
On Wednesday 06 April 2005 17:03, Richard Huxton wrote:

Hervé Piedvache wrote:

Hi,

We have switched to kernel 2.6.11.6 from kernel 2.4.26 ... since this
date we have many troubles with PostgreSQL and most of them seems to be
memory troubles.

As far as we can see, kernel kills the postmaster process when it begins
to use swap. You can see the output from dmesg at the bottom of the
message. The first thing I am not sure to understand is that the kernel
should kill processes to reallocate memory only when physical memory and
swap memory are exhausted, shouldn't it ?
Second thing: it seems to be related to our kernel switch as it did not
happen before that.

This can occur when queries / a vacuum require too much memory to run.
I have configured my kernel with these options:
# shared mem
kernel.shmmax= 641604096
# semaphore
kernel.sem = 250 32000 100 400
fs.file-max=65536
# overcommit
vm.overcommit_memory=2

Does anyone can explain me why I have this problem and how to resolve it
?

This server is a dedicated PostgreSQL server with 4Gb of RAM.

You might want to try vm.overcommit_memory=1. You don't appear to be the only one suffering from an over-zealous oom-killer.

But if you look at the documentation of PostgreSQL :
16.5.3. Linux Memory Overcommit

In Linux 2.4 and later, the default virtual memory behavior is not optimal for PostgreSQL. Because of the way that the kernel implements memory overcommit, the kernel may terminate the PostgreSQL server (the postmaster process) if the memory demands of another process cause the system to run out of virtual memory.

If this happens, you will see a kernel message that looks like this (consult your system documentation and configuration on where to look for such a message):

Out of Memory: Killed process 12345 (postmaster).

This indicates that the postmaster process has been terminated due to memory pressure. Although existing database connections will continue to function normally, no new connections will be accepted. To recover, PostgreSQL will need to be restarted.

One way to avoid this problem is to run PostgreSQL on a machine where you can be sure that other processes will not run the machine out of memory.

On Linux 2.6 and later, a better solution is to modify the kernel's behavior so that it will not "overcommit" memory. This is done by selecting strict overcommit mode via sysctl:

sysctl -w vm.overcommit_memory=2

or placing an equivalent entry in /etc/sysctl.conf. You may also wish to modify the related setting vm.overcommit_ratio. For details see the kernel documentation file Documentation/vm/overcommit-accounting.

Some vendors' Linux 2.4 kernels are reported to have early versions of the 2.6 overcommit sysctl. However, setting vm.overcommit_memory to 2 on a kernel that does not have the relevant code will make things worse not better. It is recommended that you inspect the actual kernel source code (see the function vm_enough_memory in the file mm/mmap.c) to verify what is supported in your copy before you try this in a 2.4 installation. The presence of the overcommit-accounting documentation file should not be taken as evidence that the feature is there. If in any doubt, consult a kernel expert or your kernel vendor. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, but I believe there have been some issues with the Linux kernel recently:
http://www.kerneltraffic.org/kernel-traffic/kt20050212_296.html#6

If the oom-killer is running riot on your system that would suggest the bug is still there in some form.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend