Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [HACKERS] plPHP in core?

Robin Ericsson <robin.ericsson@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>> I suppose the choice comes down to either PHP splitting the DB access
>> (like other languages) or PostgreSQL splitting out pl/PHP.

> Most major distributions (Fedora Core, Debian, Redhat) splits core php
> and database-access in different packages. Might be that sqlite is core,
> that newer php that have that change also bundles libsqlite.

Look, folks, one more time: this has zero to do with how the installable
packages are divided up.  The problem has to do with how the *source*
packages are divided up, and the rule is you want to build the source
packages in a particular sequence without any circular dependencies.
How many RPMs/DEBs/whatevers come out of a particular source package
really doesn't affect this.

The proposal on the table is to bundle plPHP into the Postgres source
package, and the problem is that that introduces a circular dependency
at build time because PHP already made a similar bundling.  That was a
bad move on their part and we shouldn't compound the problem by making
a similar error.

			regards, tom lane

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster