Search Postgresql Archives

Re: partitionning

Greg Stark wrote:

Actually I have a strong feeling what really _ought_ to happen here is that the inherited tables support in postgres, which never really worked anyways, should be deprecated and eventually removed. All that infrastructure should be repurposed into partitioned tables. That seems like it would be a nice fit.

I don't know about deprecating inheritance, but I agree with pretty much everything Greg has said on this thread. In particular, I have felt for several years now that the inheritance infrastructure could be used to implement table partitioning. We're using inheritance for DIY table partitioning on very expensive storage hardware (~$500K), and we'd be dead in the water without it.

Joe

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster