Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Suggestion for parameterized queries

Richard Huxton wrote:
Sebastien FLAESCH wrote:

Hi,

Parameterized queries (PREPARE/EXECUTE), is a great thing, but it would even be better if the DECLARE CURSOR could use a PREPAREd statement, to declare a "server-side" cursor with a parameterized query, to use the benefits of DECLAREd cursors (no fetching of all the result set on the client, use the binary mode, use the scrollable option or the FOR UPDATE option).

For now we cannot use DECLARE CURSOR in our PostgreSQL driver because
of this limitation.... I could build the SQL statement with literal values, but since you have now parametrized queries I would prefer to use that...

You can define a function that returns a cursor, if that is of any use to you.

Thanks for the idea, but actually we need that as a basic SQL feature, because we write a database driver.

How to write a generic function that can execute any SELECT statement?

I can imagine that one param of the function would be the SQL text, but what about passing a variable list of parameters?

Seb

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)