Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Possible to run the server with ANSI/ISO string

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 10:13:00 -0700,
  Ken Johanson <pg-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Besides, the version-deprecation / version requirements you mention exists in every piece of software I've even seen. Sometime they're okay with a really old version, sometime only the newest will do. This is the very argument for getting PG to offer an (use-optional) escape behavior inline with the rest - to mitigate these version requirements down the road.

Shouldn't this data be being passed through some standard code that checks if
escaping is needed? If so, is that the right place to handle whether or not
backslashes need to be escaped in addition to single quotes?

Ideally yes, but its not a requirement in any driver's spec that I'm familiar with. In fact the driver specs expect or 'claim' some (possibly implicit) level of sql language compliance -- so that the same query sent to a different database yields the same result.

insert into tbl (path) values ('c:\test')

The above query *could* and "should* be sent through an escape preprocessor (PreparedStatement interface) but it is *not* required. It's also not fair to say that a user can *expect* the above to not work with PG even though it does with another DB, imo. The user coming from another DB *won't* expect it to be broken. (I know from experience :-)