Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Referencing created tables fails with message that

Am Sonntag, den 27.02.2005, 18:50 -0500 schrieb Tommy Svensson:
> I have just installed Postgresql and tried it for the first time.
>
> One very serious problem I ran into was when actually trying to use
> created tables.
> Creating a simple table without any foreign keys works OK, but after
> creating the
> table it is not possible to do a select on it! I tried the following
> variants:
>
> SELECT * FROM <table>;
> SELECT * FROM public.<table>;
> SELECT * FROM <schema>.public.<table>;
>
> All result in the message "The relation <table> does not exist!" or "The
> relation public.<table> does not exist!".
>
> Creating a new table with a foreign key referencing the first table is
> also impossible due to exactly the same error message!
>
> This behaviour is the same using  DBVisualizer/jdbc or psql.
>
> So the question is how do you actually reference the tables you have
> created so that postgres will find them ?
> The tables do actually get created. I can se them in DBVisualizer.
>
> I'm using version 7.4.5 on Linux Mandrake 10.1.

You should have provided an exact example of _how_ do you create
your tables.

I bet you created tables with mixed case (in a tool?) but dont use the
" " quoting on these table names when you select.

    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)